October 5, 2009

ASIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday we decided to take a trip to Asia to visit Büyükada, which literally translates to Big Island. Funny, it is the biggest island or the nine so called Princes’ Islands. Oh Turkey, how you like your words and their literal translations. What started out as a meager group of 4 people who were on time evolved into a mass of people awakening from their drunken revelries trying to contact their friends to see if they would join and failing. I too tried to contact my friend and got as far as a hybrid groan and a no. You have to wonder what everyone did. I finished all of this week’s homework. Lame I know, but going to Taxim (Think Bourbon Street, except for about a mile long and so strip clubs. It is a Muslim country ;) ) every night isn’t why I came to Turkey. I know that most of the exchange student won’t agree with this, but I’m not here for them.




With that aside, traveling down the main highway towards our grand adventure down all of those streets we wandered back previously at 4 or 5 am, the Bosphorus Bridge came into sight. Where we would have previously let it pass us by as we traveled into Istanbul, today was different. Istanbul being the city that it is, a mega urban area, just being on one continent is not enough. The city which population tops out at about 13 million people has another name, the door to Asia. Crossing the bridge that I have only seen in postcards and as late night study breaks with Google Earth. I guess when you live on one side and have to commute to the other side daily, the novelty of it wears off. Luckily for me, this is not the case. I can tell you that I have been to Asia and it was good.


After reaching the port where sea busses literally parallel parked to load and unload passengers, we took a 30 min boat ride through the Sea of Marmara to get to our final destination. And yes, I already know what you are thinking. Yes, I was on a boat! I-AM-T-PAIN. Stares and little kids pulling my dreadlocks aside, we disembarked to find that this seemingly bustling Island was devoid of one important thing. CARS!?!?!? There are no cars allowed on Princes’ Island. Replaced by horse drawn carts and bicycles, the roads were packed with people walking over the entire island. With my first chance to explore without getting lost in Turkey, I instantly disappeared into the nearest alley and proceeded to climb the hill to the top of the Island. I ended up walking into the residential district of the island. Wonderful white and almost indigo Bougainvillea sprouted from the side of every house and garden in sight. People enjoying their mid-morning/afternoon tea, to their surprise; found a determined Caribbean trudging through their neighborhood. Needles to say, I was quite a spectacle as old grandmas froze and old men smiled. It was wonderful to find myself amidst the quiet rustling of flowers, the creaking of old rusted gates, and soft footsteps of packs of roaming cats looking for handouts. After being politely asked to leave the residential area, I met up with some group members who had taken the first opportunity to try the Ice cream. Together we searched for a place where we could swim, walking around to the Western side of the island with wonderful companions in the form of stray dogs. Wonderful flea ridden little things. I would like to thank them though. If it wasn’t for them the pack of 30 stray dogs that ambushed us as we tried to make it down to the beach would have pretty much attacked all of us for trespassing. Horse carriage back allowed me to enjoy the prospects of rest and the calming clatter of horse hooves against pavement carried me straight into town. I was rewarded with pasticcio and almond ice cream, a cup of tea, good company, and a game of Batgammon (Tavla here) while waiting for the ferry to carry us back to the mainland.

Our advisor took our group, which was topping out at about 40, down Baghdad Street, which in Ottoman times was a street that led directly to Baghdad (hence it’s name). This bustling area was dotted with all kinds of shops, stores, bars, restaurants (including TGIF, KFC, and McDonalds :/). After walking 2km, we found ourselves at a restaurant that was packed to capacity and outwardly had no room for one person let alone 40 people could eat. Not daunted, our leader walked directly to the back of the restaurant and we sat on benches inside while waiting for tables to clear. To our surprise, 5 minutes later the waiters brought the tables to us and the waiting room was converted into an indoor restaurant. The no smoking indoors law passed here in Turkey surely has had a profound effect on not only the bars, but also the restaurants especially because no one wanted to sit inside. I can surely attest to it being a miracle that 40 people were served on a Saturday night in one of the busiest places in the district.


The restaurant was famous for a dish called Manti. It was the Turkish answer to Italian Ravioli. While it looks normal and bland, it is stuffed with ground beef and onion with a sprinkle of salt and black pepper. They can either fried or boiled. They are served in a yogurt, garlic, red pepper, and olive oil sauce. While, Italian ravioli might lose its flavor the more that you eat it, each little bite sized morsel explodes with flavor in your mouth. I prefer the boiled Manti vs. the Fried Manti because of the texture and the flavor, but you will have to try it for yourself and decide.

Until next time,

you are what you eat, and I am exploring the possibilities!




JD

No comments:

Post a Comment